Saturday, September 26, 2009

Utah Residents...maybe.

September 22nd I celebrated my 21st birthday. It was a beautiful day with a high around 70degrees. Lovely Utah weather. Well instead of doing something outdoors, Nik and I decided to celebrate by going down to the DMV to get Utah licenses and become residents...and...Nik is almost 23 and still doesn't have his 21-and-older I.D. so this was a time for both of us to get ours.
The DMV wasn't that bad. In fact it was fun. The old guy that helped me out was really nice and friendly and funny. He just wanted a friend to talk to and I guess I was that friend for 10 minutes.
Nik and I passed the multiple question test and recieved our temporary licenses until our real ones come in the mail. They then took our AZ I.D.'s and punched a hole in them to cancel them out but they still gave them back to us incase we wanted them as souviners...so heck, we love AZ and that is our "home" so we kept them.
After the DMV I wanted breakfast at IHOP so we ran down there and had some yummy cinnamon swirl french toast. After eating, we left to go to work and by this time it is 11AM but probably only 56-60degrees outside. This is important to know as I tell you the rest of the story.
We exit IHOP and all around us is shade. YES SHADE. Shade makes it colder because there is no sun. I am from AZ...I like the sun. I want the sun. Nik and I both immediately fold our arms and crouch down a bit as to try to keeps ourselves warm as we race to the car. We didn't think about jackets. Hello....in AZ people are still wearing tank tops and shorts. So we are freezing and Nik looks over at me and with the saddest little pouty voice ever asks:

"Can we go back to the DMV and have them take out the hole in our Arizona license?? I want to go home. I don't want to stay here. It's too cold."

It was the cutest and at the same time most sad thing I've every heard him say. lol. If only you could have been there to hear him. Heck! I totally agreed with him and told him we should go back right then! We hoped in the sun-baked car and let the heat from inside the car melt away our chills. We decided we would never use our sunscreen again for the car...we like it hot!
So...I am not too sure how we are going to survive the winters here but we are going to tough it out and finish our schooling. We are not quiters!!! I love Nik and how he makes me laugh in any situation. This was one of those when it was definitely needed.

No comments: