Friday, February 5, 2010

Thank You, Mamma.

"I see my mother kneeling with our family each day.
I hear the words she whispers as she bows her head to pray.
Her plea to the Father quiets all my fears,
And I am thankful love is spoken here.

Mine is a home where ev’ry hour is blessed by the strength of priesthood pow’r,
With father and mother leading the way,
Teaching me how to trust and obey;
And the things they teach are crystal clear,
For love is spoken here."

My Mother is such a wonderful woman. The past 8 months of being married and starting the new chapter of my life in a totally different state has really opened my eyes to the lady my Mom has molded me into.

For 18 years I lived with her (and my whole family of course) and in those 18 years when I would need her, I would have to search the house to find her. Countless times her bedroom door would be shut so I would knock. It would be silent and I would knock again. Thinking she couldn’t hear me because she was in the back of the room or in the bathroom, I would quietly let myself in…and there she would be kneeling on her side of the bed with her hands clasped together, her eyes closed, and her head down. Sometimes she would softly turn to me and ask what I needed or she would say “just a minute” and at that time I would quietly back out of the room. She would finish her prayer and come out of the room to find me a few minutes later.

There were also many times on Saturday and Sunday mornings I would wake up later than usual and find her at the kitchen table eating breakfast while reading her scriptures. I wouldn’t really see this on the weekdays as I was always to school super early…but I imagine she would follow the same routine through out the whole week.

Now I am married. I moved out of AZ. I have my own habits to form and I see how she has influenced my life. I find myself doing things without even thinking about it and then when I’m done I realized my mom would do that same thing.

Thank you, Mom, for doing the right things…because I follow your footsteps without even thinking about it. I am so blessed to have a wonderful example in you.

I was never good at reading the scriptures on my own growing up. I just couldn’t find the time/make the time to sit down and read. When I would try to read, randomly, I wouldn’t understand it very well. I have always had a problem reading and understanding that language of the ancient prophets…but things are changing.

Nik and I wake up EARLY for him to get to school on time and I am left with a few hours until I have to get to work. I watch The Today Show every morning and use to sit and watch it until I had to leave…but I wanted to start habits to better me, my family, and my future. I decided to read my scriptures while eating my breakfast every morning just as my Mom would do. It is so wonderful. I don’t fall asleep like I would when reading them in my bed. I understand what they are saying and I can actually follow the stories. I get so excited when I learn something new. And I am so happy to have found the time to dedicate.

Thank you, Mom, for teaching me. Even though I might not have done everything you taught me when I was young, it’s catching up with me now and I want you to know you are a special woman in my life. You are my best friend, my example, and my Mother.

“Today you have been the Mom I needed you to be.” (From Michael McLean’s song “Lullaby For Me”) I love you, Mom.



3 comments:

Melissa said...

Way to go Dawna, writing a tear jerkier. You do have one amazing mom!!

StacieJayne said...

Dang it, Dawna! I did NOT want to CRY tonight!! But all kidding aside, I didn't know you were watching! But I'm grateful that I've somehow helped you in your life!

You are an AMAZING daughter, and I couldn't be any prouder of you than I am, now!! I love and miss you more than you'll EVER know!!

Thank you, Dawna, for being the daughter I always hoped you'd be!! And thanks for bringing me my "daughter from another mother"!! I love you, Melissa, too!!!

Nik and Dawna said...

I love you BOTH!
And we are all "family" apparently...as our tear ducts have an "occasional" leak. :)